Monday 9 March 2009

Biographies and Federico Fellini

This probably goes without saying, but every time I read a biography I find myself identifying with the subject and am saddened at the end when they end up dying. Tonight as I finished Fellini's Biography by Tulio Kezich I teared up a little bit, perhaps because I found myself using my experience in Italy with one of the most visible icons of Italian culture of the twentieth century. Though many men who lead extraordinary lives seem to always be unfaithful, they are also almost always portrayed as being a philanthropist, and you find these expressions in their work and their sins seem easily forgivable, but of course this is made from the sideline and not from the experience of lives. Though Giulietta Masina loved her husband, she knew he was unfaithful and their relationship suffered from it probably in ways that are undocumented as so many experiences are.

No comments:

Post a Comment