Saturday 28 March 2009

Rap music

I've picked up listening to rap music again and I am struck at how positive a lot of it feels. Mos Def, Common, even a lot of the Wu Tang stuff is kind of soulful interactions with simplicity, pop culture, even the meaning of life. A lot of Wu Tang stuff consistently references a branch of thought that identifies us as co-creators with God. There's some sex and violence but then there are these thoughtful reflections on mans relationship with God. Its almost as if there are these swings from one extreme to another. I also like the identity adopting stuff the Wu Tang does. Its almost like this Andy Kaufman type performance where the act leaves the stage and becomes part of what most us consider the real world. Some of it is gratuitous, and I don't even recommend most of the Wu Tang stuff unless you take it at a distance,but I find it kind of happy and free and sometimes even wise.

No comments:

Post a Comment